Author Archives: openarmsmike
A message given at Reston Bible Church – October 14, 2018
When you put your faith in Christ, you enter into a new life, you place yourself under a new authority, you take on a new identity, you are given a new purpose, and you have a new love.
DOWNLOAD AUDIO HERE
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION
- What was one thing from this message that you found particularly interesting, helpful, or challenging?
- If someone were to ask you to explain what Christianity is all about, what would you tell him?
- What do life, authority, identity, purpose, and love look like in the world? How are they different in Christ? How did your life change when you came to faith in Christ and “put on the new self”?
- Read and discuss Colossians 3:1-17. How does this passage describe and instruct your new life, new authority, new identity, new purpose, and new love in Christ?
- What does it mean to say that Christ “is your life”? Can you profess that with a whole heart? If not, what is holding you back?
- What does unity in the body of Christ look like? Why is that unity such a powerful testimony to the world?
- Spend some time in prayer that God would help you so that “whatever you do, whether in word or deed” would be done in the name of Jesus.
9 and 10:45 AM – 45650 Oakbrook Court, Dulles, VA 20166
Colossians 3 – New life, New authority, New identity, New purpose, New Love
“Reviving our Fire for Kids and Families Weekend”
Join me this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at Friendship Baptist Church in Chesterfield, VA for a weekend of Family-focused, Christ-centered equipping, encouragement, and exhortation. Topics to include parenting, marriage, missions, and children’s ministry. More information available at www.friendshipva.org
A talk given at HomeFront, a couples ministry of Reston Bible Church
- What was one thing you found particularly challenging, insightful, thought provoking, or helpful from today’s talk?
- Why do I entertain escapist ideas or at times want to run from other’s in need?
- What are some storms going on around you, now or in the past, that you’ve wished you could hide from?
- How have you seen Christ use your times in the “eye” to help others?
What if Jesus had stayed in the temple courts or the synagogue teaching? What if He never ventured out into the community, never called old Zach down from the tree, never ate with tax collectors and sinners, never touched the sick and hurting? Why don’t doctors make house calls these days? I’m not sure, but wouldn’t it be interesting if suddenly people stopped going to a doctors office or hospital when they were ill?
What if they thought that was the last place to go to be healed? How long would it take for the docs to begin making house calls again? Not long I suspect. Is the church today, the body of Christ the great Physician, staying in the hospital building waiting for the sick to show up? Or, worse yet, staying in the hospital talking about the remedy but secretly hoping that the sick stay away?
I think Jesus was less like a physician as we know it today and more like a field medic or a country doctor of days past. He went out looking for the lost sheep. Let’s help give our children a heart for the lost and pray that the Lord would use them to make Christ known in the world!
(Excerpt from Extreme Makeover: Spiritual Edition, a children’s curriculum by Michael J. Meyers)
A message given to the youth at Reston Bible Church – March 25, 2018
Questions for Reflection:
1. What counterfeit adventures or solutions to life’s struggles have you been following? How is that working out for you?
2. What is holding you back from following Jesus?