- How have you allowed anxious thoughts or a timid heart to hinder your walk with Jesus? “How has this affected your marriage?” What have you done in response?
- Do you have trouble seeing yourself as a peacemaker? Why or why not? “Who tends to be the peacemaker in your relationship?”
- How do you feel about God’s directive to tell others about the gift of Shalom? Who can you share the gift with this Christmas? Take a minute to name one or two people and pray for them at your table.
Listen (MP3 Audio)
“These things I have spoken to you so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” Jesus (John 16:33)
- What was one take away from this week?
- Where have you looked for peace outside of the heavenly Father?
- What obstacles have you allowed to keep you from pursuing and abiding with the gift of peace in your day to day life (whether in the word or in community)?
- How have you seen the peace that Christ Jesus gives active in your community?
November 22, 2020
“So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so must you do also. In addition to all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ, to which you were indeed called in one body, rule in your hearts; and be thankful.” (Colossians 3:12-15)
- What was one takeaway from today’s talk?
- What is the biggest friction point in your relationship?
- What is the biggest enemy of Shalom that you face in the coming holiday season?
Audio (MP3) –
- What was 1 take away from this week?
- Between humility, gentleness, patience, and tolerance in love, which do you find most challenging?
- How have you cultivated spiritual intimacy in your marriage?
- How has your faith made you stronger as a couple? Can you share an example?
- What was one major take away for you from this talk?
- Of the three “arenas” of trust (physical, emotional, spiritual), which is most challenging for you as a couple?
- How have you built or maintained trust and what are the benefits you’ve seen?
- Pick one area you’d like to focus on as a couple. What can/will you do to grow in this area of building trust and/or entrusting yourself to your spouse?
- Can you share a time when trust was damaged and how you went about repairing it?
Audio MP3 –
- Which of the 5 reasons shared by Mike regarding why we as a married couple are “better together” most resonates with you?
- Pick one or two and give an example of how that is true in your marriage.
- Which, if any of these, is a struggle or seems to be less true of where you are in your relationship right now?
- Are there any reasons you are better together that you would add? Share those with your table.
Listen (MP3) –
- Which of these lessons have you experienced in this tribulation?
- God’s kindness is evident even in trials
- There is beauty in simplicity
- I can live with less stuff
- Community is worth fighting for
- The lost and vulnerable are all around us
- What other lessons have you taken from this pandemic experience?
Listen (Audio MP3) –
- Can you share how a time of tribulation has impacted your marriage?
- Which of these perspectives on tribulation is most challenging for you? Tribulation…
- Cannot separate us from God’s love
- Is worked out in community
- Is not to be feared
- Should be rejoiced over (spiritual formation, advancement of the gospel)
- Prepares us for service
- Can be a sign of spiritual warfare
- Can be God’s correction of sin
- Is a powerful testimony when responded to through a godly perspective
- How would you counsel another couple that is seeking perspective in the midst of a trial?
- How would you define unity in marriage as opposed to uniformity?
- How can you prevent one spouse “disappearing” in the marriage relationship?
- Which of Peter’s points to you find most challenging; sympathy, brotherly love, tenderness, or humility? Why?
Listen (Audio Only):
- How can you cultivate an atmosphere of love in our home? Be specific.
- What can you do to strengthen yourself in the joy of the Lord in the midst of storms, and fight off the panic?
- How have you seen God’s faithfulness in the midst of our current trials or a trial you have been through previously?